| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Work with all your cloud files (Drive, Dropbox, and Slack and Gmail attachments) and documents (Google Docs, Sheets, and Notion) in one place. Try Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) for free. Now available on the web, Mac, Windows, and as a Chrome extension!

View
 

Eoropie

Page history last edited by PBworks 14 years, 1 month ago

Eoropie is the northernmost village in Ness, north of Fivepenny and Lionel, it has a long wide beach on the west side.

 

The Eoropie Dunes Park grew out of an initiative by GAIN. GAIN is a user-led voluntary organisation that designed and manage the Eoropie Dunes Park, a unique outdoor play and leisure facility that has something for everyone - whatever your age.

 

 

 

The park is free and open all year round. It was designed to be in keeping with the local environment and is a wild-life haven with a host of wild flowers, birds and beasties. The park provides opportunities for all ages and abilities to have fun and exercise while learning about the environment and appreciating the spectacular scenery.

 

This area of disused wasteland has been turned into an exciting facility for the whole community. It offers a fully-fenced traditional playground for younger children, a free-play area for older children that includes a zip-wire and embankment slide as well as a cycle/skateboard zone, maze, illustrated nature trail linking environmental areas and much, much more! Items to celebrate the local culture were added (heritage pole and plaque, information boards, standing stones and a stone circle) following a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

 

Throughout the project the young people have been involved, from the planning and design to the fundraising and maintenance.

 

The park is a great meeting point for people of all ages and is a great asset to the community. Please come with respect for the environment and enjoy the Eoropie Dunes Experience!

 

Wells 

Like many villages Eoropie has several wells. Tobair Thinnabhig, Fuaran na Ciotag, Tobair 'Stoth', Tobair 'Ruairidh Bhig' and Tobair an 'Teampuill'. 

 

Tobair an Teampuill can be found west of Teampull Mholuaidh, on the east side of the main road.  Ancient folklore suggested that the water from this well had mystical holy powers.  In earlier times, the water from the well was undoubtedly used by worshippers visiting the Temple.  Many legends relating to the well and the Temple survived through passing on of local folklore and tales.  The well continued to be the main source of fresh water for the villagers occupying the south end of Eoropie.  Many local people were upset when the well structure was destroyed following road works which were carried out on the village some years ago.  Some local people are still anxious to see the well restored to its former state.  (Criomagan  Issue 5 1998)

 

Lighthouse

In March 1998 the last manned lighthouse in the Western Isles went automatic. 

 

The Butt of Lewis lighthouse was designed by David Stevenson, grandfather of the author Robert Louis Stevenson and Engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board.  The cost of building the lighthouse came to around £4,900 and was built by John Carr & Co of Ardrossan.

 

The lighthouse has been a prominent feature within the district of Ness since it was built in 1862.  Over the years it has provided employment, been a major tourist attraction and in many respects been amongst the first in Ness to have modern conveniences like running water, telephone and electricity installed. (Criomagan Sept/Oct 1996)

 

"During World War II the lighthouse was attacked by a German aeroplane. There was no damage beyond a few broken panes of glass and gashes in the turf where bullets buried themselves harmlessly. The raider was seen from villages in several districts, sometimes flying so low that the markings could be distinguished. Even where the markings were not visible, the plane attracted attention by the great speed at which it flew." (Northern Lighthouse Board Magazine, 1976)

 

Saint Moluags Church 

"The church of Saint Moluag has stood in Eoropie for centuries.  It fell into ruins but was restored in 1912 by Canon H.A Meaden of Saint Peter's Church, Stornoway.  Saint Moluag was a 6th century Irish Saint, and a contemporary saint of Columba.

 

Outside the church stands a Celtic Cross, a war memorial to the men who gave their lives in the first world war. The decorative carving on the cross is similar to the intricate knotwork found on ancient Celtic stones.

 

St Moluag lived at the same time as St Columba. There is a story that the 2 saints decided to have a race to the island of Lismore, and the one who got there first was to be allowed to build a monastary there.

St Moluag won the race, but only because when he saw that Columba was ahead, he chopped off his finger and threw it onto the island so that at least part of him got there first.

 

Long ago the inhabitants of the island used to bring sick people to St Moluag's to be cured. " (Written by Clare SC (Sisters of Charity)

 

Shops 

Over the years Ness has had many village shops. Eoropie had 3; Buth Sheonaidh Shiurra (small grocery), Buth Mhurchaidh Ghuinne, (pre 1900. Grocer/general) and Buth Dhomhnaill Iain Oig, grocer/general merchants/bulk meal suppliers to Ness District. Established 1894. Meal was delivered by lorry. The business was continued by his son, Murdo, who also supplied house furnishings.  They also had 2 mobile shops, one of which was sold to Co-Chomunn Nis. Murdo's son Calum continued to run the shop until it closed in the early 1970's. (Criomagan March/April 1996)

 

Click here for maps of the area

 

Click here for Photo's of the Area  

 

 

Return to Introduction

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.